Thursday, September 6, 2012

Dress Up Your Bobby Pins


Hey guys, I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend and is looking forward to the next one just around the corner.  I can't wait to catch another college football game, gotta love this time of year!  Speaking of college football I'm from Tallahassee, Florida, home of the Florida State Seminoles.  As anyone could probably guess this town is fanatical about their Nole football, if we're being honest I'd also have to count myself as one of those fanatics.  It goes without saying that I've got my fair share of game day gear (Garnet and Gold t-shirts and jewelry out of the wazoo) however even I have to admit that my hair accessories are lacking.  Thus, the creations for this post were born.  What started as a simple Garnet and Gold pair of bobby pins turned into creativity fest of simple hair accessories. 

The best part about dressing up bobby pins is that they can be tailored to your specific tastes and preferences.  The sky is truly the limit when it comes to creating your own pins but if you're having trouble getting of the ground, take a look at some of the pins that I came up with.  Hopefully my creations will inspire you to create something even better!

This project is so simple and takes just minutes to complete.  I simply tied a small bow around the end of my bobby pin and secured it with a little glue for extra hold. If you prefer bigger bows you'll have to use a thicker ribbon than I did and you might want to glue it to the outside of the bobby pin instead of threading it through.

I'm so crazy about neon accents right now that a neon bobby pin seemed like the perfect trendy accessory.  This pin is even simpler than the bows, all I did was spray paint my typical black bobby pins white and cover the white with a second coat of neon yellow.  To make this easier I secured each pin to a strip of cut up cereal box and then painted 20 pins at one time.

One trip to Hobby Lobby and a glue gun later and I had a handful of varying button embellished pins. All I had to do was pick the buttons I liked and glue them to a pin to finish.  With this method it'll be super easy for you to express your own personal style.  You could make, find, or purchase virtually any small trinket and apply it to a bobby pin for your very own one of a kind hair accessory.

With these pins all you need are a fine tipped object (to apply your small polka dots) and a steady hand...well...plus some paint.  I used some already painted pins I had on hand and some white paint.  To keep the pins from moving and tipping over I secure them to a piece of paper and applied paint to one side at a time.  When you get to the polka dot painting all you have to do is gently dip your applicator into a small bit of paint and apply a small dot to your bobby pin.

I used small rhinestones on my bobby pins but feel free to used whatever size is pleasing to use.  You can apply as many rhinestones as you want (or as many as you have the patience for).  The directions for these pins are pretty self explanatory, just grab a rhinestone, add glue and stick to your bobby pin.

And last but not least, the pins that started them all - my garnet and gold painted pins! Use the same method with these that you would use for the neon pins.  Simply put your bobby pins on a strip of thick paper (or strip of old cereal box) and spray paint one side at a time. 

Again, the bobby pin creations are only limited to your imagination! Go crazy and Have fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment